At K9 Klips in Plymouth, Devon, we pride our grooming parlour on providing quality K9 care. To learn more about why dog grooming is right for your pet, read here or contact us.
Reasons to Support Dog Grooming:
• Daily grooming decreases the chance of various health problems such as thrush, scratches, and other skin problems
• Grooming is great for the general cleanliness of your dog
• Grooming allows for easy monitoring of your dog's health by checking for cuts, heat, swelling, lameness, or changes in temperament, all of
which could be indicative of illness
• Grooming forges a closer bond between dog and owner
• Grooming reduces infestation load of skin parasites
Anal Gland Disease and Treatment—Impaction
Impaction is the accumulation of pasty secretions in the anal sacs. When this occurs, the sacs become distended and mildly tender. The expressed secretions are thick and dark brown or grayish brown.
The sacs become impacted when they don't empty completely. This may be due to insufficient pressure on the sacs during defecation because of small soft stools, inadequate sphincter pressure, or blockage of the openings by thick dry secretions. Impaction tends to occur most often in small-breed dogs and in overweight dogs.
Impaction is treated by manually expressing the secretions. Dogs with recurrent anal sac impactions should have their sacs emptied at regular intervals. Place the dog on a high-fiber diet or a bulk laxative to increase the size of their stools and contact us.